I am writing a Portfile and i would appreciate help

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Feb 11 14:40:00 PST 2007

On Feb 11, 2007, at 05:05, Randall Wood wrote:

> You may wish to make sure that for each variant you have, you have
> a conflicting variant that removes that variants functionality: for
> example:
>
> default_variants +with_yap
>
> variant with_yap conflicts without_yap { ... }
>
> variant without_yap conflicts with_yap { ... }
>
> This way if a user decides not to use the +without_yap variant, it
> will prevent the +with_yap variant from being used.

I still don't understand this suggestion of providing both with_yap
and without_yap variants. I haven't seen that in any existing ports,
and don't see why you can't just have one of those variants, and not
the other. If you have a variant called with_yap, then if you use the
variant, you get yap; if you don't use the variant, you don't get
yap. On the other hand, if you have a variant without_yap, and you
use it, you don't get yap, and if you don't use it, you do get yap.
Which variant you provide depends on whether you want yap to be
enabled by default or not. I also don't see any need to use the
default_variants feature.