Revamping home page left sidebar

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at brierdr.com
Sun Feb 11 22:25:32 PST 2007

On Feb 11, 2007, at 10:06 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2007, at 23:30, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
>> On Feb 11, 2007, at 1:41 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> By total coincidence, I see the mailing lists are available under
>>> the menu item "About Us." I would change that menu item to
>>> "Mailing Lists."
>>>
>>> Also, I would remove the links to other Mac OS Forge projects,
>>> unless having them there is a requirement of the deal.
>>>
>>> The MacPorts web site seems to have the standard Mac OS Forge
>>> "look." Is this required by the deal, or can it be changed to
>>> something completely different? I don't like the default Mac OS
>>> Forge theme.
>>
>> All Mac OS Forge projects have to have a consistent look and feel,
>> so there's not a whole lot of leeway for change on the project
>> page itself, but changing "Source Code" to "Downloads" and having
>> a link for "Mailing Lists" seem to be reasonable requests.  I'll
>> look into getting those sidebar changes made.
>
> But the WebKit web site looks different from the rest of Mac OS
> Forge...

That's largely for legacy reasons, but it's also allowed because it's
under a different banner.  I know that www.macports.org points to the
equivalent of macports.macosforge.org right now, but since
"macports.org" is notionally an independent site, there's nothing
which disallows the project from establishing its own
www.macports.org portal and having two different project faces, one
at www.macports.org and one at macports.macosforge.org.  It's only
when people are "at macosforge" that they need to see a consistent
L&F in order to meet Apple's style guidelines for macosforge.

- Jordan