[22007] portutil.tcl mods / more portfile.7 changes needed?

Mark Duling mark.duling at biola.edu
Wed Feb 14 22:13:49 PST 2007

"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh at opendarwin.org> on Wednesday, February 14, 2007
at 12:31 AM -0800 wrote:

>xinstall and file copy are different - xinstall is implemented in
>pextlib, and apparently doesn't recursively copy directories. It's a
>shame.
>

>So yeah, while xinstall won't handle directories, copy will do it just
>fine. The difference is that copy won't handle file permissions, but
>xinstall does.
>

>I was trying to copy the semantics of install(1) in order to obey what
>seemed to be the principle of least astonishment.   That said, I'm having
>a hard time thinking of just how and where the world would end if someone
>were to enhance it to actually copy directories.  I was probably being
>too conservative.

For the sake of consistency, it would be a great thing.  From what I
understand from Kevin's explanation last night, to copy recursively and
set permissions without system calls requires this:

copy ${worksrcpath}/src/lib ${destroot}${prefix}/lib/${name}

find ${destroot}${prefix}/lib/${name} {expr 1} {
	file attributes $filename -permissions 755 -owner root -group wheel
---------

Which really in't so bad, but it would be nicer if it could be done in a
single commd.  But for now should this be the recommended way?  If so I
think we need to stick this in portfile.7.

Mark