Why -O and -g in universal variants?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sun Feb 25 03:43:54 PST 2007

On Sunday, February 25, 2007, at 11:51AM, "Cédric Luthi" <cedric.luthi at gmail.com> wrote:

>That's what I was trying to say also. I said using isysroot on Intel
>would fail, I did not say not using it would fail. I try once again:
>
>env CFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch ppc" LDFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch ppc" ./configure ...
>on ppc: fail because system libs are not universal
>on i386: ok because system libs are universal
>
>env CFLAGS="-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch i386 -arch
>ppc" LDFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch ppc" ./configure ...
>on ppc: ok because univeral libs must be used
>on i386: fail because of an unknown reason. I may be wrong on this
>point, I may have tested with an older version of gcc. I will test
>again as soon as I'm on my Intel Mac.

That should work just fine on intel macs with Xcode installed. Python's --enable-universalsdk uses "-arch ppc -arch i386 -isysroot ... " to build universal binaries and that works just fine (I build the official binary releases for macosx for python.org and use an intel mac to do so).  I do use -isysroot in both the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS though.

Ronald