ReadMe.rtf ready for review.

Mark Duling mark.duling at biola.edu
Sun Feb 25 18:05:42 PST 2007

I have an updated ReadMe.rtf for the MacPorts' binary installer.  The
changes are roughly these:

-Changed all occurrances of DarwinPorts to MacPorts
-Removed links to OpenDarwin and Guide and replaced them with the MacPorts
Wiki.
-Added sections "Shell Environment Requirements" and "Install Location" to
better distinguish content.

Q1) Do we want to still include a link to Kevin's Port Authority since it
is payware?  I included it, but it can be easily deleted.
Q2) 'port sync' is mentioned in the "What is Installed" section - "....
which is kept up-to-date through the sync and selfupdate targets of the
port command."  Is that still necessary?  I think it either needs to be
further explained or removed.

I attached the updated file here.
http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/11010

But I pasted it below in RTF for easy review.  I think attachments get
stripped but I'll find out.

What is MacPorts?

MacPorts provides an infrastructure for building, installing, and
packaging open source software.  It is designed to match the functionality
of the FreeBSD Ports system and to be extensible for future enhancements.

System Requirements:

This disk image is built for Mac OS X __XVERS__.x (Darwin __DVERS__.x) and
requires valid TCL, curl and OpenSSL installations to function - all
present by default within Mac OS X. Also required is the installation of
Apple's XCode (available as a separate install from your OS X CDs or DVD,
or preferably the latest version from Apple's Developer site: [
http://developer.apple.com/ ]http://developer.apple.com/).

Shell Environment Requirements:

A file named ~./profile is created during the binary file install of
MacPorts.  It contains the path statements to append the MacPorts' binary
paths to your environment within /opt/local/ so MacPorts will be available
to you for subsequent terminal sessions. You may have to quit and restart
your terminal application for this change to take effect.

Install Location:

When MacPorts is installed using the .dmg file binary, the install
location for MacPorts is /opt/local/. If you wish to install to a path
other than /opt/local, you must install MacPorts by using the source code.
 See [
http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/InstallingMacPorts
]Installing MacPorts on the MacPorts Wiki for instructions.

Usage:

1) Access the MacPorts' port command via the command line.

or

2) Access MacPorts by purchasing the [
http://www.codebykevin.com/portauthority.html ]Port Authority GUI
application.

* DISCLAIMER: The Port Authority application is not supported by the
MacPorts project.

What is Installed:

Aside from a few MacPorts executable commands in /opt/local/bin, most
MacPorts files are installed in "/opt/local/var/db/dports".  Within these
directories you will find a "sources" directory, which is kept up-to-date
through the sync and selfupdate targets of the port command. Please read
the port(1) man page for more information.

Mark