Default +universal variant for configure-based ports

Elias Pipping pipping at macports.org
Sun Feb 25 22:53:03 PST 2007

That is a lovely addition and I embrace it wholeheartedly.

Now more than ever it brings up the need for a database that contains
information on which port builds on what platform and if its variant
+universal works, though.

So a port would have these entries e.g.:

db44     ppc   i386   universal

Panther   ?      ?        ?
Tiger     X      ?        X
Leopard   ?      ?        ?

or something like that. maybe i'm the only one to see it that way but
i find it problematic to just assume away every port builds on every
platform and is perfectly stable. also, is it really a good idea to
keep adding -devel ports instead of allowing a port to be available
as multiple "branches"? like bash 3.1.17 and 3.2.9 as a 3.1 and a 3.2
branch (yes, i'm thinking of gentoo - stable, testing, etc)?

Regards,

Elias Pipping