Default +universal variant for configure-based ports

Paul Guyot pguyot at kallisys.net
Mon Feb 26 03:51:26 PST 2007

On Feb 26, 2007, at 19:45, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2007-02-26 13:45:09 +0900, Paul Guyot wrote:
>> * you can add -O -g if the port requires it with just:
>> configure.universal_cflags-append	-O -g
>
> Why isn't -O (equivalent to -O1) used by default?
>
> It is regarded as stable by Apple (since it is in the tech note)
> and is better than the default -O0 (no optimization).

I think you might be over-interpreting Apple's choice with -O (and -
g). Most configure-based software know how to configure their
optimization options for both PPC and Intel  builds and if they
don't, then the portfile needs to fix it anyway, even for non-
universal builds. Unless I missed something....

Paul