Default +universal variant for configure-based ports

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Mon Feb 26 04:34:37 PST 2007

On 2007-02-26 07:14:31 -0500, Salvatore Domenick Desiano wrote:
> I guess it's unclear to me as well why we wouldn't follow TN2137 by
> default.

This would be a good idea, but other CFLAGS options may be needed
for some ports, in particular a different optimization option. So,
it is important that CFLAGS is built in a consistent order.

IMHO, to avoid problems, MacPorts should have a default CFLAGS value,
e.g. "-O -g" (as suggested by Apple). Then there should be a command
to append options to CFLAGS before calling configure, e.g.
configure.cflags-append. The universal variant should have
configure.cflags-append \
  "-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch i386 -arch ppc"
and the portfile could add other options if need be. Perhaps ditto
for LDFLAGS. This way, there shouldn't be any problem with overridden
CFLAGS/LDFLAGS.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>