Why -O and -g in universal variants?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Feb 26 07:17:44 PST 2007

On Feb 25, 2007, at 8:44 PM, Salvatore Domenick Desiano wrote:
> I've seen programs that have trouble with -O2 and -O3, but only a
> small
> number and typically data-intensive programs like image
> manipulation. No
> reason you couldn't use it, but stability is very important to
> Apple, so
> I would follow their reccomendation for the default.

Apple's normal recommendation is -Os, I'm fairly certain that -O -g
aren't meant to be instructive in that article.

> o But it takes more disk space. Similarly, one may choose to strip
> o binaries or not. IMHO, the choice to do that or not should be a
> global
> o option. Therefore those who have plenty of disk space could
> choose to
> o keep debugging information (in case a program crashes), and those
> who
> o are short of disk space could choose to remove them.
>
> Maybe a global MP option to disable debugging info for people who are
> short on disk space and know what they're doing.

It's probably better to have it disabled by default.

The debug information is a not-insignificant amount of space.

(here's a non-macports example of one library I have installed:
-rwxr-xr-x     1 root  wheel        3M Jan 18 08:20 QtCore*
-rwxr-xr-x     1 root  wheel       43M Jan 18 08:20 QtCore_debug*)

--
Daniel J. Luke