Default +universal variant for configure-based ports

Peter O'Gorman peter at pogma.com
Wed Feb 28 05:28:46 PST 2007

On Feb 26, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Paul Guyot wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I've just implemented and committed a default +universal variant
> for configure-based ports. There's been some heat about +universal
> recently and I did not want every port to define the same code over
> and over.
>
> This variant is more or less equivalent to:
> variant universal {
> 	configure.args-append "--disable-dependency-tracking"
> 	configure.env-append CFLAGS="-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/
> MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch i386 -arch ppc" LDFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch ppc"
> }

As I just pointed out to Elias Pipping on the bug-libtool list, if a c
++ compiler is required then the CXXFLAGS also need to be set.

Also, if you want stuff using libtool to build universal this will
only work with libtool-1.5.22 or later.
If you want stuff to have a chance of building with older versions of
libtool then you have to do pretty things like:
CC='gcc -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch ppc -arch
i386' CXX='g++  -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch ppc -
arch i386'  CXXCPP='g++ -E' CPP='gcc -E'

And then there is the following bug that I have not fixed yet:
-isysroot will chose the wrong library if there exists a .la file for
the lib in /usr/lib but not in the SDK.

There are probably other bugs that I have yet to fix but have also
simply forgotten, libtool not using a bug tracking system has its
advantages, I guess :-p

Peter