Massive property update - PLEASE READ

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jan 26 00:08:14 PST 2007

On Jan 25, 2007, at 21:10, Kevin Ballard wrote:

> If you create a new Portfile, you should set svn:eol-style to
> native on it (`svn propset svn:eol-style native Portfile`).
>
> If you add any patches to the repository, don't set any properties
> on them.
>
> If you add files which aren't patches or Portfiles..
>
>   is the file a binary file?
>     if yes, set svn:mime-type to application/octet-stream
>     if no, do the line endings matter? if they don't, set svn:eol-
> style to native
>
> If you don't want to worry about properties, it's not a big deal if
> you set none of them, but if possible I'd like the repository to be
> consistent about this.

The committer must also ensure that they have not already set up
Subversion auto-props definitions which conflict with these
guidelines, or must remember to undo what their auto-props did before
committing. For example, I cannot imagine anyone deliberately setting
svn:eol-style on PNG images before committing, but I can very well
imagine someone inadvertently configuring an auto-props rule which
sets svn:eol-style on all files (à la "* = svn:eol-style=native").