${perl5.lib}

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Jan 26 12:32:06 PST 2007

On Jan 26, 2007, at 3:15 PM, Mark Duling wrote:
> "Daniel J. Luke" <dluke at geeklair.net> on Friday, January 26, 2007
> at 6:48
> AM -0800 wrote:
>>> Can I use variable ${perl5.lib} in portfiles?  I could just try it
>>> but I'm
>>> curious and I don't have time to test it right now.  If so I can
>>> add it to
>>> the port man page after x11prefix in the RUNTIME VARIABLES section.
>>
>> It's set in the perl5 group code, so you can only use it in portfiles
>> that make use of the perl group code.
>
> Oh right.  I should have known that.  Well in a non-perl port, I
> guess I
> could use perl -V system calls to get it in a non-hardcoded way
> since I
> don't want to update a port for a new perl release.
>
> perl -V:sitelib
> sitelib='/opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8';
>
> perl -V:sitearch
> sitearch='/opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/darwin-2level';
>
> Why is it so little is in sitelib (I have one file RRDp.pm) and so
> much is
> in sitearch?

Macports should be installing stuff into vendor_perl (that's what
perl5.lib gets set to).

... but IIRC sitearch is where compiled modules go (ie C-based XS
modules) and pure-perl stuff goes into site_perl

(so that if you share your perl over NFS, for instance, you can use
one directory hierarchy for multiple architectures, I think).
--
Daniel J. Luke