Release 1.5 branch created

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Wed Jul 4 03:00:31 PDT 2007

Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> 	I finally created the release_1_5 branch wherefrom we'll start
> cutting the 1.5.x releases, really soon now I hope! For those willing
> to help around in sanitizing, please reinstall off this branch and
> test as thoroughly as posible, reporting any findings you may come by.
> I'll rework the roadmap to move open tickets in the 1.4 milestone to
> 1.5, as well as those that were fixed in it but not released to users
> (committed to trunk, which as of r26608 is the same as release1_5) but
> not to the release_1_4 branch. Any new ticket on the base component
> should be submitted to the 1.5 milestone, consider 1.4 closed!

These are the issues affecting "selfupdate" on FreeBSD:

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12168
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12173
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12212
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12225
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12230
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12231

It would be nice if these could go into MacPorts 1.5...

With OpenDarwin now gone, it's good to have a free option
available for testing MacPorts on (FreeBSD with GNUstep)
It will come as a FreeBSD Port (pkg_add -r macports), so
that it's easy to install just like the Mac OS X Package.

Supporting FreeBSD is much easier than supporting e.g.
Solaris or GNU/Linux, due to the Mac OS X similarities.
Especially since the support was already in DarwinPorts,
it just needed a little updating to work out of the box...

--anders