Release 1.5 branch created

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Wed Jul 4 14:23:18 PDT 2007

Landon Fuller wrote:

>> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12173
> Outside of my immediate jurisdiction.

It's just a failed test case or two anyway, not library code.

>> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12212
> I -think- the right solution for this is to use
> -fconstant-string-class=NSConstantString for GNUstep. As a start,
> check out the OD_OBJC_NSCONSTANTSTRING macro I wrote here:
>
> http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/substrate/trunk/aclocal.m4?
> revision=283&view=markup

Actually I just wanted MacPorts 1.5 to limp along and compile,
as far as I know nothing is actually *using* tclobjc just yet
and there was no test case for it to check whether it worked...

> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12230
>
> I added a new pthread macro, committed to trunk.

Was using "PTHREAD_LIBS=-lpthread ./configure" first, but
that kinda broke any attempts to have it just selfupdate.
Your macro is much better than either patch or workaround.

>> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12231
>
> Personally I'm in favor of just using --with-tcl-sqlite3, but I could
> be swayed either way.

That would probably be much better, the idea was to provide
enough of defaults so that "selfupdate" didn't choke and die...
The initial BSD installation did provide an actual location.

Another reason was that not providing a location for sqlite3
means it will try and compile the included sqlite3 library,
which seems even more hardcoded for Darwin than the path was.

> I'll look into merging these changes into the 1.5 release branch,
> assuming nobody objects.

I'm sure there will be lots of objections, as all patches were
for making MacPorts "work" on FreeBSD which might be against
the will of both several people and the project as a whole...

My point was just that "we're not supporting FreeBSD anymore"
doesn't *have* to mean "actively deleting everything freebsd" ?
It was under my impression that it would still be tolerated.

But if we want to go ahead and wipe puredarwin/freebsd, OK.
My main objective is testing RPM packaging anyway, and I have
another option if MacPorts doesn't support FreeBSD anymore...

--anders