deploying pre-build ports with macports

Boyd Waters bwaters at nrao.edu
Thu Jul 5 11:57:25 PDT 2007

On Jul 5, 2007, at 12:04 PM, Barry Wark wrote:

> I'm planning a deployment of scientific software to several users in
> my lab. The software depends on several libraries that aren't
> installed by default on OS X. We've settled on macports for providing
> those dependencies (and have been very impressed with the whole
> project- kudos!). I would like to deploy our whole package

I had the same sort of project for our astronomy software.

My first thing was to create a meta-package that installed binary
versions of all of our MacPorts dependencies.
Then I ran another package that installed our (non-MacPorts) things.

Note that the binary packages that MacPorts creates have little to do
with MacPorts itself: in particular, they do not create MacPorts
"receipts". If you expect to be able to install binary packages on top
of a "standard" MacPorts distribution, and then subsequently build
MacPorts that depend upon the binary-installed things, then you'll be
in for a surprise: MacPorts will go ahead and install everything from
source, ignoring the binary packages.

That is, the binaries and the source ports are two different things
and don't talk to one another.

For us, this lead to lots of confusion for everyone: scientists, IT
staff, developers.

So now, I just build everything I need to - MacPorts for the community-
developed things! - and then I create a tarball installer that
includes all of our stuff (which isn't in MacPorts yet), and the
handful of dynamic libs and binary commands that are required by our
system (mostly Python).

I don't know if my response helps you, but if you have other
questions, I'd be happy to discuss them with you -- I'd like to know
how other scientific applications are being deployed when using
MacPorts.

Regards,

  - boyd

Boyd Waters