1.5 rc1 tag created ([26762] tags/release_1_5_0-rc1/)

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Fri Jul 6 15:20:12 PDT 2007

Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> 	I will wait for two more things:
>
> 1) final word on
> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12231, whether
> that's a final solution to the issue or just an advice to leave it out
> of the release for the time being;
> 2) final word on whether or not I should merge Anders' r26737.

Main reason for #12231 is coping with selfupdate and ./configure.
It works from the BSD port anyway, since that sets all arguments.

If you're considering FreeBSD support, it should also be noted that
configure currently assumes bash and the makefiles assumes gnumake...

This means that "selfupdate" might not work out-of-the-box on systems
where /bin/sh is some other shell and make is some other make (bsd) ?

I think the very latest version of FreeBSD's sh is OK to use now
(or one could edit configure to say /bin/bash), and using gmake
instead of make will call FreeBSD's gnumake instead of bsdmake
(the errors are due to GNU-make constructs like ifeq/ifneq...)

If you want to address this portability problem, you can test
with "./configure && bsdmake" - or you can just demand GNU make ?

--anders