variant or platform

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 10 21:25:09 PDT 2007

On Jul 10, 2007, at 18:45, Yves de Champlain wrote:

> I'm in a normalizing mood.
>
> I found out that
>
> 87 ports use variant darwin
> 10 ports use variant puredarwin
> 10 ports use variant freebsd
>  3 ports use variant powerpc
>  3 ports use variant x86

Don't forget 2 ports that use "variant macosx". Oops, one of those is
mine...

> Now, that should be "platform", shouldn't it ?
>
> Should I go on and change everything ?

All except "variant x86", probably yes...

As for "variant x86", the correct syntax would be "platform i386",
wouldn't it? I don't see any ports with "platform x86", and nobody
with an Intel Mac is currently automatically getting a variant called
"x86", as far as I know. And since those users are not complaining, I
must conclude that whatever is in the x86 variant is not in fact
necessary for Intel Macs, and may in fact be harmful. So each of the
x86 variants should be specifically examined and only retained if
found to still be necessary. I mean, up until not too long ago, the
only way to use MacPorts on an x86 processor was to use an OS other
than Mac OS X, right?

The "variant x86" ports are freetype1, python23 and llvm-gcc4. I sure
don't understand what's going on in the powerpc and x86 variants of
llvm-gcc4, why that's necessary. (Cc'ing maintainer.) As for
python23, the x86 variant only does "configure.args-append --disable-
toolbox-glue", which is the same thing it does for the puredarwin
variant, which makes it sound like it would be a bad idea for this to
be changed to "platform i386" since that would disable the toolbox
glue on Intel Macs, where the glue should probably remain. And
freetype1 is obviously old and unmaintained and no ports depend on
it, so maybe we should just delete that port.