Problem with liveupdate (zlib)

Emmanuel Hainry ehainry at free.fr
Wed Jul 11 10:07:07 PDT 2007

Citando Simon Ruderich :

> Now I checked it with other installed ports. It seems there are some
> problems with livecheck.

No, those are not "problems". It is a feature (called defaulting to
something that makes sense in general but may fail).

> "port livecheck installed" returns this:
>
> apr seems to have been updated (port version: 1.2.9, new version: 1.2.8)
> Error: cannot check if apr-util was updated (regex didn't match)
> clearsilver seems to have been updated (port version: 0.10.4, new
> version: 0.10.2)
> Error: cannot check if db44 was updated (regex didn't match)
> Error: cannot check if gettext was updated (regex didn't match)
> Error: cannot check if libxml2 was updated (regex didn't match)
> Error: cannot check if libxslt was updated (regex didn't match)
> Error: cannot check if nano was updated (regex didn't match)
> Error: cannot check if ncurses was updated (regex didn't match)
> Error: cannot check if ncursesw was updated (regex didn't match)
> pcre seems to have been updated (port version: 7.1, new version: 7.2)
> Error: cannot check if perl5.8 was updated (regex didn't match)
> Error: cannot check if popt was updated (regex didn't match)
> Error: cannot check if readline was updated (regex didn't match)

1) Error: cannot check if apr-util was updated (regex didn't match)

is the message you get for ports that have not any livecheck
configuration and for which the default does not work (the default being
fetching on freshmeat I believe) either because the project is not
declared on the default site either it has another name.

2) pcre seems to have been updated (port version: 7.1, new version: 7.2)

That's a good message indicating that pcre may need to be updated...

3) apr seems to have been updated (port version: 1.2.9, new version:
1.2.8)

This happens if freshmeat has a project declared for this name but the
page is not as up-to-date as the port. The problem is upstream
(developper) does not change the project info on freshmeat at every
release, blame them.
Or the port maintainer may try to configure livecheck for it to fetch
version on an up-to-date site. But since this feature is mostly useful
for the port-maintainer, he may not need this to know when a port needs
upgrading.

Emmanuel