macports_fastload.tcl

Chris Pickel sfiera at macports.org
Thu Jul 12 10:34:21 PDT 2007

Hi, I wanted to confirm my understanding of the intention of
macports_fastload.tcl: the `package` command is supposed to be
replaced if the user has a tclsh version prior to 8.4.7, right?

This isn't what the file currently does--it tests '7' against [lindex
[split [info patchlevel] .] 3], which is out-of-bounds, since lindex
is taking a 0-based index into {8 4 7}. So, the body runs anyway, for
any version of Tcl prior to 8.5.

I'm also not sure why all of the `source` statements are wrapped with
`catch`. This ignores any fatal errors that occur when loading the
relevant packages. This seems unsound to me, because if there are
fatal errors loading them, then it's unreliable to proceed.

(I noticed this when I screwed up macports.tcl so it wouldn't load;
execution proceeded but later produced errors about its procedures
not being defined.)

Chris