Checked in the current draft of the new guide

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Fri Jul 13 05:20:32 PDT 2007

Mark wrote:

>> 	More over, we can all agree to nominate Maun Suang and you "Guide
>> Masters": rather than simply diving in and committing patches to the
>> sources in svn, we instead upload them to tickets in the
>> "Documentation" milestone and you guys, governing that milestone,
>> review them and decide when/how to commit them, rewriting them if
>> need be.
>
> Sounds like a decent plan to me.  I just committed what I have so far.
>
> xml/newguide.xml
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/browser/trunk/doc/guide/
> xml/newguide.xml?rev=26949
>
> resources/newdocbook.css
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/browser/trunk/doc/guide/
> resources/newdocbook.css?rev=26950
>
> Hack away!  Needs work in the reference sections, among others. 6.2 and
> 6.3 have placeholders for keywords and Tcl primitives respectively.
> Full
> comments in the svn checkout logs.

I committed a new target ("make new") to the guide Makefile, so that one
can generate the "new" html (it uses the docbook XSL and generates
XHTML)

Also added the missing copyright information, which unfortunately was
left out of your "Minimalist Guide". It also needs a documentation
license
added later, so that the guide can be distributed along with the
software.
Probably some Open Content license, to match the Open Source BSD
license ?

Will leave the rest of the updates to you guys, and use the Trac
Tickets.

> See the the updated copy with a slightly different stylesheet at my
> .mac
> page for those wanting a peek at the draft of the new guide.  Colors
> are
> awful!  You have been warned!

It just uses the DarwinPorts color scheme still, so it's a bit too
"cute"...
http://web.archive.org/web/20070103015001/http://
darwinports.opendarwin.org/
Probably it can be redone along with the main MacPorts website <hint
hint>.
As in: better to do a proper redesign of the entire MacPorts "brand"
later ?

Hopefully there are lots of web designers wanting to help the project ?
:-)

--anders