variant or platform

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jul 15 12:37:52 PDT 2007

On Jul 15, 2007, at 14:25, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

>>> it fetches uname, so whatever comes out is good
>>
>> Ah. Well, uname -a shows i386 on my MacBook Pro with Mac OS X, but
>> I don't know what it outputs on all other operating systems on all
>> other computers. So what do we do now?
>
> 	Part of the code that sets the platform name is in base/src/
> port1.0/portmain.tcl, but I have to admit I don't remember the
> original question of this post in order to provide a helpful
> answer :-S What is it that we're trying to agree on? An Intel Mac
> appropriate platform name? intel? i386? something else?

Well, it was your thread: you were normalizing platform names and
discovered things like "x86" and "intel". We were both wondering if
"intel" was a valid platform name anywhere, and I don't know how to
find out if "uname" returns "intel" on any computer. However, I can't
find any port containing "platform intel" now. Did you change it
already?

And you posited that "x86" worked on some platforms, while I know
that "i386" is correct for Intel Macs. In terms of what happens if
you write a platform selector in MacPorts, I don't think i386 is a
subset of x86 at all; if I were to draw a Venn diagram, I don't think
the two circles would intersect. uname either returns i386 (like on
Intel Macs) or it returns x86 (on some other Intel computers). I
think my point was just that any occurrences of "platform x86" or
"variant x86" should *not* be changed to "platform i386" because the
x86 selectors seem to have been used in the past to target non-Macs,
which would make this software start to fail on Intel Macs.