SoC: current status (Elias Pipping)

Elias Pipping pipping at mi.fu-berlin.de
Mon Jul 23 16:02:58 PDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 02:05:44PM -0700, Landon Fuller wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2007, at 02:09, Elias Pipping wrote:
>
>> I chose a separate repository (and wiki) for a number of reasons:
>>
>>  * I do not like working with Trac (contrary to ViewVC and DokuWiki -
>>    If I had needed a bug tracker I would have set up BugZilla, too)
>>  * I did not want to spam MacPorts-Changes with my commits to merge.rb
>>    needlessly.
>>  * A separate repository makes it very easy, regarding the SoC, to say
>>    what I wrote - maybe it was easy already, but now it's trivial.
>
> This looks neat, but seems to be an independent set of scripts, rather than
> anything integral (or intended to be integral) to MacPorts:
>     - You used a different language
>     - You used a different license
>     - You used a different source repository and wiki
>
> Which doesn't sound very integrated =)

merge.rb is what the wiki, etc. are all about, everything else in the
repository is tests that create environments merge.rb can be tested in.

merge.rb was not meant to be integrated into the 'port' command, which
is why using a different language is not a problem.

I did not mean to impose a barrier by choosing another license and I
think I did not - the MIT and the BSD license are perfectly compatible
and I don't see why mixing them would cause any problem.

I think merge.rb should utilize MacPorts and not the other way around,
which would also allow it to be used by other package managers or even
completely without a package manager (as demonstrated by the test
scripts).  That also means that I would not want it (to be required) to
be `integrated`, which, the way I see it, is *not* a bad thing.  It only
means that others can profit from merge.rb and do not need to reinvent
the wheel over and over again.

Kind regards,

Elias