MacPorts should require the latest Xcode

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jul 30 12:03:14 PDT 2007

On Jul 30, 2007, at 13:41, Landon Fuller wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2007, at 17:21, Blair Zajac wrote:
>
>> On Jul 29, 2007, at 4:11 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> Here's a message from the -users list just now:

>>> Problems caused by old Xcode versions are reported by users with
>>> some regularity. I suppose we could add something to the FAQ, but
>>> users don't always read the FAQ, and the first step of the first
>>> section of the installation guide already reads: "Download and
>>> install the latest version of Xcode Tools—do not install an older
>>> version from the OS X 10.4 install disk or some ports may fail to
>>> install."
>>>
>>> We should not allow users to run into this problem. Can we please
>>> modify MacPorts base to issue a fatal error and refuse to do
>>> anything unless the latest Xcode (2.4.1 on 10.4.x, 1.5.x on
>>> 10.3.x) is installed? I think this would be a good idea. When new
>>> versions of Xcode are released, we can update base as needed.
>>
>> +1.
>
> Tentative -1, simply because Xcode is a massive download. Most
> things will build with an outdated version, I don't think it's
> particularly nice to force people to download a gigabyte update if
> they don't need and/or want to. Also, we shouldn't try to second
> guess people who do know what they're doing with an "unsupported"
> Xcode version.

Fine, then print a big honkin' warning. If MacPorts ever encounters
an error during the configure or build phase of a port, have it print
something like this at the end:

YOU ARE USING AN OUTDATED VERSION OF XCODE, AND THIS MAY HAVE CAUSED
THE PROBLEM YOU JUST ENCOUNTERED. Please go to http://
developer.apple.com/ and download and install the latest version of
Xcode. Then clean this port and try installing or upgrading it again.