Problem with liveupdate (zlib)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 31 19:00:40 PDT 2007

On Jul 31, 2007, at 11:50, Simon Ruderich wrote:

>>> What is with the other "regex didn't match" messages for Portfiles
>>>  which have a correct specification of the liveupdate. Is this a
>>> limitation of the regex or am I missing something (again).
>>
>> It could mean that the project's homepage is offline. Or it could
>> mean the livecheck specification was not in fact correct in the
>> portfile, either because the port author made a mistake, or because
>> MacPorts changed the way the livecheck information is interpreted, or
>> because the project's homepage has changed in some way and a new
>> livecheck needs to be written.
>
> I think it would be better if the message could be a bit more precise;
> like "homepage not available". It would also be nice if port could
> print
> (only in debug mode of course) the regex it used to check the page.
> This
> would help with the multiple escape issue. So the maintainer knows
> what's going wrong.

Reading portlivecheck.tcl, I see that if the homepage is not
available, it already prints "cannot check if $portname was updated
($error)".

It already prints the regex if the regex does not match. I suggested
2 weeks ago that the regex should always be printed, and since there
have been no objections since then, I implemented that now (r27379).

This is all in debug mode only.

>> I'm having a hard time figuring out, however, why I need *4* slashes
>> every time PCRE syntax would lead me to expect to need only one. One
>> doubled slash will be to escape it from the TCL string, but why it
>> needs to be doubled again, I'm not sure.
>>
>> I have a sneaking suspicion that something in the livecheck processor
>> changed between MacPorts 1.4.42 and 1.5.0 to cause this, because I
>> had to fix the livecheck of several of my ports recently.
>
> If I read the svn changelogs correctly then this was fixed in the
> current trunk. But I'm not entirely sure.

Yes, I found the revision that broke it (r26041), Kevin Ballard
provided a fix, and I tested and committed it (r27079).

> I don't like the trac system of macports so much because I noticed
> there
> are many fixes, patches and new portfiles in there and nobody checks
> them into the svn repository. But if something is mailed to the
> mailing
> list (or to the port maintainer) it's done very quickly. So I think
> the
> mailing list is a better and at the moment faster place for such
> patches.

Trac is our bug tracking system, and the mailing list is our
discussion system, so it seems to me that bugs are properly reported
to Trac. However, the reporter must remember to Cc the appropriate
people, otherwise nobody is notified of the ticket's existence. Also
we don't have a good system in place for ports that are unmaintained.

If you find forgotten patches in Trac, and the ticket is not assigned
to someone and the port has no maintainer, email the list with the
ticket URL and someone can have a look at them and commit them. If
the ticket is assigned to someone, email that person. If the port has
a maintainer, email that person.