GSoC2007 work

Chris Pickel chpickel at stwing.upenn.edu
Fri Jun 1 12:36:12 PDT 2007

On 01 Jun, 2007, at 14:43, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:
> 	Again, many reasons to move GSoC work to branches and very little
> to have it happen right on trunk, in my opinion. I'll make the move
> if no one presents a case against it, so please speak up if you
> feel you have valid arguments against moving to branches. Thanks!

Keep in mind, one of the biggest reasons not to branch is the same
reason you're encountering now: feedback.

In general, I think the best solution is to work in trunk with hooks
that disable the new behavior for users who aren't adventurous. That
lowers the barrier for feedback, while keeping it up for safety.

On 01 Jun, 2007, at 15:09, Anant Narayanan wrote:
> Please do keep in mind that the students are required to submit a URL
> and possibly even upload code that they have authored during the
> summer
> to code.google.com at the end of the term. Committing directly to
> trunk
> poses a practical problem as it will be difficult for the students to
> distinctly show their work for audit.

This should not be a problem. My project will produce a fairly
sizable body of code that's completely new, which can be shown to
Google. The logic to hook that code into the rest of MacPorts doesn't
really need to be shown, and it would be difficult to separate this
out even in a branch.

Chris