GSoC2007 work

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at brierdr.com
Fri Jun 1 19:23:43 PDT 2007

On Jun 1, 2007, at 11:43 AM, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> 	Again, many reasons to move GSoC work to branches and very little
> to have it happen right on trunk, in my opinion. I'll make the move
> if no one presents a case against it, so please speak up if you feel
> you have valid arguments against moving to branches. Thanks!

I object.  I'm completely in agreement with James - the SoC
contributors shouldn't be treated any differently than other
contributors (lest we create 2nd class citizens in what is otherwise
supposed to be an open project, regardless of how someone gets
here).   A branch also isn't a quarantine mechanism to be arbitrarily
placed on a contributor* - it's an organizational tool to be used in
certain situations which depend ENTIRELY on the types of changes in
question.   That should be left to the discretion of the contributor.

Artificially constraining things to branches is also generally the
first step in ensuring their decay and eventual death.  That's a
fairly strong argument against.

- Jordan

* Yes, I'm also familiar with the "untrustworthy contributor"
scenario, but the solution there still isn't a branch, it's a
committer proxy.