livecheck my ports (was: Re: universal syntax like livecheck?)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jun 14 01:29:28 PDT 2007

On Jun 14, 2007, at 02:48, Pierre Queinnec wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> what livecheck does, it lets you type (the rather unwieldy) "port
>> echo maintainer:yourname | sudo xargs -n 1 port livecheck" and see
>> which of your ports have new versions available, so that you know
>> which ones you need to update.
>
> You could use the simpler form: port livecheck maintainer:yourname.

Thanks, I feel better already! :-)

Though, I still find it odd that I have to use sudo. If I don't:

$ port livecheck maintainer:ryandesign
Error: Unable to execute port: /opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
_Users_rschmidt_macports_dports_graphics_ImageMagick/
work/.darwinports.ImageMagick.state is not writable - check
permission on port directory

It's non-intuitive that it would have to write anything to disk when
all I'm asking it to do is check the contents of some remote web sites.