PostgreSQL and MySQL

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jun 16 13:37:49 PDT 2007

On Jun 16, 2007, at 15:23, N_Ox wrote:

> Le 16 juin 07 à 22:06, James Berry a écrit :
>
>> On Jun 16, 2007, at 7:55 AM, N_Ox wrote:
>>
>>> For consistency's sake, wouldn't it be nicer to make mysql5
>>> server variant its own port,
>>> as postgresql82-server port?
>>> This way, ports could even depend on the mysql5 server without fail.
>>
>> Since server basically just adds the startupitem, I think we
>> should just make server the default. The startupitem should be
>> harmless unless explicitly loaded, and surely the couple of extra
>> small files is relatively no impact.
>>
>> Any objections?
>
> I agree, that's even better!
> But we should do the same in mysql5, then =).

Did you mean "but we should do the same in postgresql82"?

The objection might be that both postgresql82-server and mysql5
+server currently add a system user/group. Users might not like that
this happens even when it's not needed.

On the other hand, I have a hunch that someone installing mysql5 or
postgresql82 with MacPorts is more than likely going to want to run
it as a server. Also, AFAIK, the requisite mysql user/group is
already present on Mac OS X since 10.2? certainly since 10.3, which
is the earliest we support now. I don't know about the postgresql
user/group though.