Configure & build environment flags

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jun 24 21:41:26 PDT 2007

On Jun 23, 2007, at 18:48, Paul Guyot wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2007, at 7:00 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Jun 23, 2007, at 16:27, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:
>>
>>> 	I'm curious about why we provide facilities to alter the
>>> configure environment in many ways but practically none to alter
>>> the build environment. I know that in the ideal case (a properly
>>> written build system for any given software package) the
>>> configure environment should either cascade down to the build one
>>> (Makefiles inheriting and passing the same env flags that were
>>> given during the configure stage, for instance) or its results
>>> should be reflected there (the setting of some variable in
>>> generated Makefiles), but we all know there are quite a handful
>>> of broken build systems in which neither of these two is true.
>>> Therefore some Portfiles have the need of passing some (if not
>>> the same) flags to the environment during build (build.env) as
>>> they do in the configure stage.
>>>
>>> 	So, onto my specific questions, is there any reason why we don't
>>> provide the build.xxflags-{append,delete} equivalents that we do
>>> for configure.xxflags-{append,delete}? How these would work
>>> (inheriting values, replicating them, overriding them,...) I'm
>>> not entirely sure, but you can easily spot Portfiles out there
>>> using build.env construct that may tread on what's set through
>>> the configure.xxflags if not used carefully. Also, if we're
>>> deprecating configure.env, shouldn't we be doing the same for
>>> build.env? And lastly, again on the deprecation of configure.env,
>>> what's our stand with respect to {configure,build}.env-
>>> {append,delete}?
>>>
>>> 	I would completely understand if you told me none of these
>>> things have been implemented yet 'cause simply you've had "no
>>> time" ;-) But I was wondering if there were intead any type of
>>> technical decisions behind the lack of a build environment
>>> tweaking facility.
>>
>> I also recently noticed the lack of build.cppflags-append and
>> asked the list about it and got no response.
>>
>> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2007-May/
>> 001774.html
>>
>> I wasn't aware configure.env was deprecated. It's still used and
>> required by many ports. I thought we just deprecated using
>> configure.env for setting LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS. Is that all you
>> meant?
>
> I don't think we deprecated configure.env and that there is any
> plan to do so. There is some code in base/ that parses flags in
> configure.env, and this is the bit that might go away, maybe with a
> warning, once a grep would have revealed that no port still uses
> configure.env for *FLAGS.
>
> The rationale behind configure.*flags was that it was the easiest
> solution to solve several problems at once and to provide features
> we wanted. Setting those flags is quite a frequent operation and
> parsing them from configure.env is error-prone and problematic, for
> example it is difficult to figure out the declarative value of each
> [...]

I don't know about all that. All I know is that the whois port needs
it. The whois port does not use configure. And in order to find the
gettext headers and libraries, the portfile says:

build.env \
         CFLAGS="-DENABLE_NLS -I${prefix}/include" \
         LDFLAGS="-L${prefix}/lib -lintl"

I had changed this at one point (r25698) to:

build.cflags-append -DENABLE_NLS
build.ldflags-append -lintl

because I assumed that would work. It didn't. So, the rationale for
having build.*flags-(append|delete) is that it is consistent with
configure.*flags-(append|delete) and thus makes life easier on port
authors.

As to all you've written about flag inheritance and other related
issues, I don't know about any of that. Though in the case of whois,
at least, since there is no configure stage, I think it's irrelevant.