sudo port install glitz +universal

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jun 27 00:06:21 PDT 2007

On Jun 18, 2007, at 14:45, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Since we've confirmed the problem, I've filed a bug:
>
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/12137
>
> I hope that will not be the end of the discussion, though, and that
> someone will continue thinking about a way to solve the problem...

Just to complete the thread here on the list, in case anyone was
waiting for the resolution:

I worked around the problem for ports that depend on XFree86 by
deleting its nonfunctional universal variant. See #12137.

I filed new tickets for what I believe to be bugs in base; I don't
think I would have run into the original problem if those issues in
base didn't exist. See #12169 (MacPorts shouldn't evaluate variants
of non-required dependencies) and #12170 (the default +universal
variant shouldn't appear in ports where we know it won't work).