ports with bootstrapping dependencies

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jun 29 23:22:07 PDT 2007

On Jun 29, 2007, at 13:33, Landon Fuller wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2007, at 11:39 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Jun 25, 2007, at 09:46, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
>>
>>> There was some recent
>>> discussion about a `ui_fatal' command by which to fail, although I
>>> understand that it was simply a proposal not yet implemented.  Does
>>> this sound plausible, however?
>>
>> Not really needed, though, either. Just do ui_error "the message"
>> followed by exit 1. And, again, do this in the pre-fetch phase.
>
> Calling "exit" from a Portfile will cause any front-end using the
> dports API to exit, no? That seems bad form.

I was under the impression that doing this within the pre-fetch phase
was acceptable. I thought we discussed this on the list earlier. Many
ports do this: xorg, wine, mozilla, sockstat, ipcs, gauche-gtk,
mysql5-devel, TeXShop.

If that's not ok, then we really do need someone to implement
ui_fatal. But what would that do differently?

There are some ports that still do it directly in a platform
selector: xloops, nestedsums, cln, GiNaC, hugs98, ghc, klisp,
kdelibs3. I can see how that's indeed wrong and needs to be changed.