Release 1.5 branch created

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Sat Jun 30 16:30:55 PDT 2007

On Jun 30, 2007, at 3:46 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:

>> 	Though I have tested the sed calls that update the conf files
>> extensively, could I please ask you to double check your
>> macports.conf and sources.conf file? Is everything alright in them?
>> Compare them to how files off a fresh trunk installation would look:
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/browser/trunk/base/doc/sources.conf
>> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/browser/trunk/base/doc/macports.conf.in
>>   (after autoconfiscation of course, with keyword substitution in)
>>

> I initially diffed them with the mpsaved versions to see how things
> changed, and it all looked fine; comparing them to the originals in
> svn shows that they appear to have come in nicely.  Just a few
> comments are a bit different, but that's because I've had these
> files for quite a while...

	This is actually a great report, Bryan, thanks! One thing I was
afraid of when first writing the sed rules was not properly matching
text in old files, as I was basing the regex patterns on rather new
versions of them. I had to go through svn history to make sure my
rules worked with every single incarnation of the conf files... but
still real life experience is better than everything else. Well, real
life experience other than mine, 'cause (believe it or not) I *did*
check with every version ;-) Your report is comforting confirmation,
thanks!

>>> Only issue I've seen is the .mpsaved files in receipts are left
>>> behind, is this deliberate?
>>

>> 	Eeerrrr.. I simply did not think about deleting them, keeping them
>> around as a "just in case" measure just as the conf files .mpsaved
>> backups. I could include a deleting rule in a future release or
>> even in this one if people prefer, but personally I rather keep
>> them for the time being. No matter how much I've tested this
>> (thankfully with all reported failures, very few to begin with,
>> already corrected), I'm still messing around with already installed
>> software so I prefer to stick to the "better safe than sorry!"
>> mindframe.
>>

> I figured they were being kept around for safety reasons.  Perhaps a
> post-installation message saying something to the effect, "If all
> looks okay, the .mpsaved files can be removed".

	Good idea, I'll add a comment to that effect.

>>> Bryan
>>

>> 	Thanks for your report Bryan! Regards,...
>>

> 'tis the fun of always running off of trunk.
>
> Bryan

	Wasn't there a song that said "Living on the edge!"? ;-)

-jmpp