Emacs major modes

cssdev at mac.com cssdev at mac.com
Thu Mar 1 06:13:45 PST 2007

On Mar 1, 2007, at 3:21 AM, Yuen Ho Wong wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, how come there is such a lack of ported
> emacs modes? Are there any plans to incorporate more emacs mode in
> Macports or do I have to roll my own?

I'm not sure. I just toss any customizations into my CVS'd Documents/
dotfiles/.lisp folder. I use a symbolic link so that my dotfiles load
from my home folder. This makes it really easy to pull all my modes
to any other system I use, regardless of operating system. It's nice
to use a single set of features and keystrokes across Mac OS X,
Linux, FreeBSD, and even Windows. :)

It might be useful to add something like the Enhanced Carbon Emacs
plugin as a port, but you ultimately still need to do something to
have whatever flavor of emacs you're using load any extra modes. Were
there any particular modes that you're interested in?

For my own use, I have found it easier to manage my modes within my
own user-space.

Chris