MacPorts and Summer of Code

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu Mar 1 15:02:42 PST 2007

Eric Hall wrote:
>>> The project I personally was planning on doing was an official GUI for
>>> MacPorts. Currently, there's only a non-free (in all senses of the word)
>>> frontend.
>>>
>>> Apart from this, porting a major application: like the next big
>>> Gnome/KDE could also fit the bill. Surely, you guys must be having a
>>> TODO list? :)
>> Additionally, any general *nix application that hasn't been ported to
>> Darwin/OSX yet will qualify as a MacPorts project. There are tons of
>> these out there, so a proposal could either contain porting several
>> small applications or one big one; the coding time allowed is 3 months.
>>

> 	One very useful thing I can think of is getting dependencies
> to support variants - i.e. port 1 need 'port 2 +variantA'.

Yes, that would be good.

A couple of other ideas:

1) Complete the work to have a single py-* portfile work for both Python
2.4 and 2.5.

2) Find a box to support compiling code on older OSes.  Not everybody
has a 10.3 box, but it would be good to have smoke tests on them and
email the person who did the commit if a new Port broke on another older os.

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
<blair at orcaware.com>