MacPorts and Summer of Code

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Mar 2 16:45:39 PST 2007

On Mar 2, 2007, at 01:10, Cédric Luthi wrote:

> On 1 mars 07, at 23:57, Eric Hall wrote:
>
>> 	One very useful thing I can think of is getting dependencies
>> to support variants - i.e. port 1 need 'port 2 +variantA'.
>
> And also versions:
> port 1 need 'port 2 @2.6.27'
>
> Obviously, port 2 @2.6.28 would be correct also.

Well I don't think that's necessarily correct. Across minor versions
(2.6.27 => 2.6.28) one would hope so... but across major versions
(2.6.x => 2.7.x) things could certainly break. Subversion 1.4.3, for
example, checks specifically for Neon 0.26.2, and complains if it
finds 0.26.3. Neon 0.26.3 does in fact happen to work fine with
Subversion, but from past experience the Subversion developers have
learned to pin down the supported Neon version number quite
specifically. Neon is still in initial development, hence the 0.x
version number, and drastic changes can and sometimes do still occur.