[22490] trunk/dports/www/apache2/Portfile

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Sat Mar 3 12:38:19 PST 2007

On Mar 3, 2007, at 1:48 AM, Randall Wood wrote:

> Is this +no_startupitem variant really smart?
>
> I recently had a request to add a +without_startupitem variant to a
> port I maintain and rejected the request; since startupitems simply
> enable a port to be started at boot time, but do not cause a port
> to be booted at start time, it simply seems stupid to deliberately
> cripple a server port such that a user would have to reinstall it
> if they wanted to start the port at boot time later.
>
> BTW: If the variant is to be retained, can it be named
> +without_startupitem instead?

Unless I'm missing something, I see no reason whatsoever for the
no_startupitem variant, or anything like it.

Using the startup item strategy, we have two cases, systemstarter
(pre tiger) and launchd (tiger++):

SystemStarter: The code generated by port for system starter
automatically looks for an enable flag from /etc/hostconfig, and this
is -NO- by default. So by default the port won't be run.

Launchd: Likewise, the launchd.plist file generated for a port is not
enabled by default, so by default the server won't be run.

The only reason I see for having a +server variant in some cases is
if building the server is way too onerous (like perhaps in the case
of mysql where somebody just wants to build the client but not the
server). Still this is debatable.

Okay, so what possible rationale did I miss?

James