Just say no to +universal

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Sat Mar 3 12:49:45 PST 2007

I'm quite distressed by the concept of too much work (and too much
ugly code) going into building +universal variants of ports.

I'd like to see people refrain from completely bastardizing portfiles
in order to support universal builds. Let's be reasonable: the case
for universal builds is fringe. We don't have easy ways to transport
binary ports between systems, and it's not in general a safe thing to
do.

I'd much rather see:

	- Smaller, cleaner, more maintainable portfiles and no universal.

	- Work on binary packages and a build/distribution system that could
deliver the pre-built port for a given architecture.

Let's not see more ugliness like the universal variant in the OpenSSL
port, please!

(Feel free to chime in on this issue, all who care...)

James