Just say no to +universal

Landon Fuller landonf at macports.org
Sat Mar 3 15:09:50 PST 2007

On Mar 3, 2007, at 1:39 PM, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Now, if you're saying that the initial efforts to get there have
> been clunky and inelegant then I'm not going to dispute that since
> you're probably right.  That doesn't mean you throw the baby out
> with the bathwater, however, it means you figure out how to do a
> better job of it by learning from your early mistakes!

Nobody is arguing against universal builds. The goal is to avoid a
mountain of impossibly complex, difficult to maintain code in the
Ports tree. The fact that universal is a happy land of milk and honey
is great, but I don't think any of your points refute jberry's
original statement:

     I'd like to see people refrain from completely bastardizing
portfiles in order to support universal builds.

Me too.

-landonf