Helping new ports and fixes into MacPorts

Steve Purcell macports at sanityinc.com
Thu Mar 15 15:07:58 PDT 2007

On 15 Mar 2007, at 20:52, Kevin Ballard wrote:

> The old process was, create a ticket, email this list or the dev
> list. Someone would deal with it. Recently we added a milestone New
> Ports. There's no official documentation to this nature, but I
> would posit that an appropriate new process is create a ticket,
> make sure it's set to the milestone New Ports. Periodically other
> committers and I should go through the New Ports milestone and
> check the submissions, committing Portfiles if they're acceptable.
>
> That said, if you have an update to a port, assign it to the
> Available Ports milestone and email this list. There are far too
> many tickets open against portfiles that will eventually end up in
> Available Ports for us to really monitor it for new tickets.

Great, that clears things up wonderfully.  Perhaps you could add this
brief guidance to the "committer guidelines" wiki page, which is
probably a first stop for many new contributors.

>> Also, I believe I fixed a defect in a further ticket, but have no
>> means of reassigning that ticket to the maintainer of the port in
>> question (mww):
>>
>>   http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/9043
>
> Looks like pipping reassigned it for you, though I would recommend
> emailing mww about it directly - Trac currently isn't sending any
> emails except to people in the CC field, so if he's not reading
> this thread he doesn't know the ticket has a fix.
>
> Oh, and in the future you can simply attach your diff as a file
> attachment rather than embedding it in text.

Super, thanks.  I was surprised not to receive emails about the
changes to the ticket, so I'll go ahead and CC myself.

Thanks again for the guidance,

-Steve

--
http://www.sanityinc.com/ - Software For a Saner World