php5 +memcache

Emory Smith emory.smith at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 08:03:40 PDT 2007

oops, ryan ... i goofed.

turns out the macports memcached port is only the daemon and doesnt
include the php extension.  sorry, i should have made sure it was
working for me first.  no big deal if you already added the variant
though -- php works fine without the extension installed (just cant
use memcache).

anyway, the build for the php extension (requires memcached and a
phpize) is straightforward.  i will try to submit a portfile for this
as soon as i get a chance, however ... one thing im not sure about
here (cc'ing dev in case others have input) ...

should something like this be its own port? or a variant of php? or
both?

the "memcached" is obviously a completely independent package from
php, but the memcache php extension is dependent on both.

ive run into this a couple times before too .. for instance, theres a
port called "syck" (for yaml parsing) thats also independent from
php, but the php api depends on both php and syck.

been working with yum on fc5 some lately and the solution there is to
use a different package for every such situation (so you would get
php-memcache, php-syck, etc), but seems like that might not work so
well when installing from source.

-emory