install prefix

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Tue Mar 27 15:37:32 PDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 05:35:48PM -0400, Randall Wood wrote:
>AFAIK, The darwinports1.0 Tcl Library needs to be in /Library as that
>is the allowed magic directory for system-wide available frameworks
>(per Apple).

well I don't want system-wide I want MacPorts contained... so per
the other message, this installed and I presume it will work

mkdir -p MacPorts/Library/Tcl
sudo mv MacPorts /usr/local
cd MacPorts-1.4.0
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/MacPorts \
	--with-tclpackage=/usr/local/MacPorts//Library/Tcl \
	--with-install-user=$USER --with-install-group=$USER
make && make install

humm... installed okay but

port selfupdate
can't find package darwinports
    while executing
"package require darwinports"
    (file "/usr/local/MacPorts/bin/port" line 42)

...it looks like configure --with-tclpackage didn't
do all the magic I was hopeing for in the binaries.

sudo chmod 1777 /Library/Tcl/
mv /usr/local/MacPorts/Library/Tcl/darwinports1.0/ /Library/Tcl/
rm -rf /usr/local/MacPorts/Library/Tcl
ln -s /Library/Tcl /usr/local/MacPorts/Library

That works well enough for now. Thanks for all the quick

BTW, just because MacPorts is sponsored by apple, my feeling is
packages (ports, whatever) should be separate from the OS install.
cf NetBSD + pkgsrc, and pkgsrc doc, "Chapter 7. Directory layout of
the installed files" ...separation is a good thing.

Cheers,
// George