Configure flags and universal variants

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Mar 27 23:32:22 PDT 2007

On Mar 27, 2007, at 20:35, Paul Guyot wrote:

> Trunk contains new code for configure flags and default universal
> variant code.
>
> It would be great if this could be tested more and released as soon
> as possible:
> - it would allow maintainers to work on universal variants
> - it would allow us to simplify many portfiles by removing:
> configure.env CFLAGS=-I${prefix}/include LDFLAGS=-L${prefix}/lib
>
> Besides, trunk code produces -O2 binaries for autoconf-based ports,
> while any such port with the previous line is compiled -O0 with 1.4.0.

Can this also help the CC, CPP, CXX situation?

I mean: there are many ports that say things like this:

platform darwin 8 {
	configure.env CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 CPP=/usr/bin/cpp-4.0 CXX=/usr/bin/g
++-4.0
}

Why is this necessary? Wouldn't all three of those be the default on
darwin 8 anyway? What problem are these directives trying to solve?
And could the problem be solved at a global MacPorts level instead?
Along with the MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET, CFLAGS and LDFLAGS.