install prefix

David Osguthorpe David.Osguthorpe at uchsc.edu
Thu Mar 29 08:46:13 PDT 2007

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 04:09:29PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>    Sure, it could probably be worked around by having some set of binary
>    tcl distributions to start from, but since Tcl is well-supported by
>    the system, why go to all the extra trouble?

there is also the file ${prefix}/var/db/dports/.tclpackage which stores where
the tcl-package is stored - if you installed darwinports a few years ago it was in
/Library/Tcl which is now stored in this variable and will be re-stored in that
directory on a selfupdate - on the other hand if you do make install in base
into a clean /opt system it will install the tcl-package in /opt/local/share/darwinports/Tcl
for reasons Ive never seen an explanation of - and installing darwinports1.0 in
/opt/local/share/darwinports/Tcl seems to work on OS X at least for me.

>    Also, MacPorts isn't really planning on being cross-platform so much
>    anymore.  There were some early experiments with this, and no one is
>    deliberately trying to stop people from using it on, say, Linux or
>    FreeBSD, but no work has really gone into this area either and many
>    many ports just assume they're running on a Mac (not even "vanilla
>    Darwin" is supported anymore).

can you expand on "vanilla darwin" not supported?
this would seem to be a very important statement to make

David