committer responsibilities

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Mar 29 22:18:50 PDT 2007

On Mar 29, 2007, at 20:47, markd at macports.org wrote:

> I think that when people commit updates, they should make a quick
> scan of
> the trac list to see if there are tickets open that the commit may
> close.
> I think it is reasonable to expect people to do that, but that is not
> hapenning, nor has it ever happened for many committers.  Even a
> comment
> saying "didn't check if it fixed anything, but updated it -good
> luck" sort
> of comments if you don't have time for more is all I'm asking for.  It
> would be a big help.  Treating it as someone else's problem even to
> look
> at trac before or after committing is just not being a responsible
> community member in my view.  </end-of-scolding :)>

I find Trac remarkably frustrating. For example, when I search for
issues, the first thing it does is shows me wiki entries, changesets,
and issues, both open and closed. All I want is to search across open
issues, but I don't know how to do that. Makes it hard to find out if
there is an open ticket for any given problem.