[23415] trunk/dports/archivers/zlib/Portfile

Landon Fuller landonf at macports.org
Sat Mar 31 13:11:44 PDT 2007

On Mar 31, 2007, at 11:20 AM, Mark Duling wrote:

> macports-dev at lists.macosforge.org on Saturday, March 31, 2007 at
> 10:25 AM
> -0800 wrote:
>> Revision
>> [ http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/changeset/23415 ]23415
>> Author
>> landonf at macports.org
>> Date
>> 2007-03-31 10:25:27 -0700 (Sat, 31 Mar 2007)
>>
>> Log Message
>>
>> Claiming ownership of my port entirely.
>>
> Are there ports where you are listed maintainer that you shouldn't
> be?  I
> think to be sure someone respects your maintainership, you should make
> sure that you are only listed as maintainer one ones you really
> actively
> maintain.  I really wan't aware you were still active and I
> supposed there
> were a bunch of ports that you used to maintain and currently
> didn't but
> never formally relinquished.  For example, I just updated openldap
> days
> ago and you are listed as maintainer.  But there have been 3
> verifiable
> bugs filed against it for ages and the port was pretty outdated.

I'm pretty sure I'm still active =)
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/search?q=landonf&changeset=on

Of the three OpenLDAP bugs, the only bug actually assigned to me was
an enhancement request. It was opened prior to trac ever sending e-
mail, and so I never actually saw the bug. The port wasn't
significantly outdated -- I was intentionally was tracking the 2.2.x
branch.

That said, I saw the  bug that you filed on Wednesday, and it all
looked fine. I had planned on addressing it this weekend, but you
beat me to it.

> In my view, MacPorts only keeps functioning because of the efforts
> of a
> few that sometimes need to bend the rules with some judgement, because
> there aren't enough people concerned with fixing bugs that we can
> reasonably expect those people to adhere to all the rules we set
> up.  If
> we had more people doing it we could more closely adhere to the
> standards
> we've setup.  A bureaucratic system with few people doesn't work
> very well
> when those few have to choose between getting things done for
> others and
> maximizing their volunteer time.
>
> I'm not criticizing or complaining, I'm just saying how things
> appear to
> me because, frankly, I bend the rules a lot because I don't see
> another
> way right now.  The project seems to have more users than it once
> did and
> tickets are opened faster, but it doesn't seem like there are many
> responsive maintainers so that we rely on a few consistent bug
> chasers and
> committers that sometimes bend the rules to keep from getting
> swamped by
> tickets.

I agree that the maintainer flag should be considered a mutex -- I
certainly don't have time to keep tabs on updates and bugs every
single port I maintain.

However, I do think discretion is a must -- if you're white-space
reformatting the entire port, doubling it in length and complexity,
and adding dependence on undocumented private functions, something is
probably wrong -- especially when it's something like zlib, which is
a hugely important system dependency.

-landonf