Let's add variant descriptions

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed May 2 02:43:26 PDT 2007

On Apr 30, 2007, at 10:04, Elias Pipping wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2007, at 9:55 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> It's annoying that "port search" shows description, but "port
>> info" only shows long_description.
>
> Isn't that precisely what description and long_description were
> made for?

Is it? I don't know.

It seemed to me that "port info" should show more info -- should show
everything you can see with "port search" and then some. Nothing that
you can see with "port search" (i.e. the (short) description) should
be omitted.

Though I have seen some portfiles that set the description and
long_description to the same thing, so those would look silly in
"port info" if it were changed to show both strings.

Though these ports currently already look silly in "port info"
because it prints curly braces around the long description. For example:

$ port info p5-archive-tar
p5-archive-tar 1.30, perl/p5-archive-tar (Variants: universal)
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Archive-Tar/

{Creation and in-memory manipulation of tar files}

Library Dependencies: perl5.8, p5-io-zlib, p5-text-diff
Platforms: darwin
Maintainers: narf_tm at macports.org