[24832] trunk/base/src/port/port.tcl

Chris Pickel chpickel at stwing.upenn.edu
Sat May 5 19:31:08 PDT 2007

On 05 May, 2007, at 22:04, James Berry wrote:
> On May 5, 2007, at 5:53 PM, Randall Wood wrote:
>> Why ~/.macports/.history and not ~/.macports/history (why a .file
>> in a .dir)?
>
> Well, my reasoning may have been a bit lame, but it seemed like
> since it's not normally a file anybody wants to read (while there
> are other files in ~/.macports that they do) that it was just as
> well to keep it hidden and out of the way.

I'd just as soon have it visible. On the off chance I _did_ want to
look at it, I'd never have thought to look for a dot-file there.

>> And while I'm asking why not use ~/Library/Application Support/
>> Macports instead of ~/.macports? Isn't it the Apple way to use the
>> Library instead of .dirs?
>
> Very good question. I'd be happy to hear feedback from other
> developers. I'd happy with either.

I would say that, in an ideal world, MacPorts configuration would go
in Application Support instead of a dot-file. However, almost
everything that MacPorts installs has its configuration in dot-files.
It would be inconsistent to put MacPorts configuration in a different
place from all of these.

So, unless someone wants to patch all of the ports to use Application
Support too, I think ~/.macports/ is better

Chris