selfupdate is broken

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu May 10 16:01:13 PDT 2007

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On May 10, 2007, at 09:44, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>
>> It seems that selfupdate got broken:
>>
>> prunille:~> sudo port -d selfupdate
>> DEBUG: Rebuilding the MacPorts base system if needed.
>> Synchronizing from file:///Users/vinc17/wd/macosx/dports
>> DEBUG: /opt/local/bin/svn update --non-interactive
>> "/Users/vinc17/wd/macosx/dports"
>>
>> It shouldn't update *my* SVN working copy. It was previously updating
>> the standard path (?) with rsync. I suppose that it takes the paths
>> from /opt/local/etc/ports/sources.conf, which contains here:
>>
>> file:///Users/vinc17/wd/macosx/dports
>> file:///Users/vinc17/software/dports
>> rsync://rsync.macports.org/dpupdate/dports
>>
>> But I use this for port installation only.
>
> According to the change notes, sync was intentionally changed to also
> update sources which are Subversion working copies. It's supposed to be
> a new feature, not a bug.

I don't think it should do update the working copy.  I have a working
copy checked out with my non-root account and I do work in there as
non-root.  I don't want a root owned svn to go in their making new files
owned by root, so that I do have to sudo to do any svn operations.

Also, I have other processes that update that and do diffs and other
things on the MacPorts checkout, so I'd rather not have port selfupdate
do it.

Can we make it configurable and make the default false?

Regards,
Blair