Strange error

Randall Wood rhwood at mac.com
Sun May 13 11:34:17 PDT 2007

On 13 May 2007, at 11:34, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On May 13, 2007, at 09:54, Randall Wood wrote:
>
>> When running port from within the Apple Security Frameworks, I get
>> this error:
>>
>> couldn't find HOME environment variable to expand path
>>     while executing
>> "file mkdir $macports_user_dir"
>>     (procedure "dportinit" line 45)
>>     invoked from within
>> "dportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
>> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize ports system,
>> couldn't find HOME environment variable to expand path
>>
>> How should I mark this when I report it as an error in trac to
>> ensure proper action?
>
> I guess I've never heard of "the Apple Security Frameworks." What
> is that?
>
> Do you have a HOME environment variable set to the correct value?

The Apple Security Frameworks are the
	Security Foundation Framework
	Security Framework
	Security Interface Framework
and are used by Applications, Preference Panes, and Installers to
authenticate users, and to request privilege escalation for a task.

My $HOME environment variable is correctly set, but the Security
Frameworks do not set this variable. When I 'sudo port ...' it works.

BTW: port creates the ~/.macports directory with root ownership, but
should create it with the same ownership as the $HOME directory.

Randall Wood
rhwood at mac.com
http://shyramblings.blogspot.com

"The rules are simple: The ball is round. The game lasts 90 minutes.
All the
rest is just philosophy."