ALC861 linux driver ported to OSX

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun May 13 15:54:33 PDT 2007

On May 13, 2007, at 16:58, maildoduro at gmail.com wrote:

> I'd just like to know if its possible to port the Realtek alc 861
> linux sound driver to OSX and to make it work with OSX 10.4.9
> If yes, Then, how?

This list and the MacPorts project are not really about "porting"
software to Mac OS X, in the traditional definition of "port" meaning
to modify the code so that it will work in a new environment. Rather,
MacPorts is simply a package manager, making it easier to install
software that already is meant to run on Mac OS X. If the Realtek alc
861 has a Mac OS X driver, or if you can make the existing Linux
driver easily work on Mac OS X, then a MacPorts port can probably be
created for it to make it easier to install. But if there is no Mac
OS X driver, then Realtek (or someone else?) will have to provide one
first.